Autumn is the most beautiful time of year in the mountains, the colours are changing and the mountains are getting their first dusting of snow. Autumn is also full of adventure, it is therefore, by far my favourite time of year to explore the mountains! Hands down, autumn is the best time for Trail Running. It’s so much fun exploring trails when the trees are changing and there are so many animals out. You don’t need to stop longer than 10 minutes to see a group of Chamois grazing, marmottes squeaking and the last few summer cows on the mountain.
Changeable weather can mean being caught out with the wrong kit – being too cold, too hot, bad footwear, the snow comes in, the Chasse, etc. It’s not fun!
I’ve put together a few of my favourite things to take when you’re heading out onto the mountain in autumn. I’ve linked to the brands which I use for this kit.
- Binoculars – THE BEST bit of kit for spotting Chamois and other mountain animals
- GTX Shoes or Winter Walking boots
- A high vis jacket – hunting days can be found via the Chasseco app. A high vis should always be worn when hiking or trail running on hunting days.
- A flask
- A buff, gloves and headband/hat. The weather can always change and the air is often chilly at the top
- A down jacket and GTX shell
Autumn days are best spent adventuring and looking after your body. With the winter season fast approaching, get your body feeling it’s best. I am in Morzine right through the Autumn inter-season offering massage throughout the valley. Get in touch to find out which tailored massage would be best for your body!